I missed my flight

Sigh. I missed my flight.

I checked in at the DFW airport early. As in, two hours before the flight. While waiting, I listened to the MP3s of our just-concluded GPA. I did not hear the announcement that there was a gate change.

15 minutes before boarding time, I glanced at the flight monitors. I was shocked to see that the gate for my American Airlines flightto San Francisco, CA has been relocated to another about halfway across the airport. I ran and took the train to reach it, just in time for the boarding.

I sat in my assigned seat and waited.

...and waited.

It appears that the gate confusion was just a foretaste. The lady pilot announced that there was a technical problem in a very important navigational device. So, we had to get off the plane and wait outside while it is being repaired.

I asked the agent at the desk and he told me that that's the only flight I could get on to catch my Philippine Airlines flight to my country (with a short stopover at Guam). He assured me that if we leave before 845PM, I could still make it.

After almost three hours, we got on the plane again. But we arrived 20 minutes before the boarding time for my connecting flight. I heard my name called. I rushed to the front door of the plane. The agent told me that if I want to catch my plane, I have to run.

I ran, carrying my two carry-on bags. I was not wearing my rubber shoes. I was wearing my leather shoes (since I taught in a Sunday school class of NorthWest Bible Church in the morning). I ran from the domestic flight area to the international flight area of SFO airpot.

Huffing and puffing, I recalled the days I missed the Baylor Fitness Center. I think that sprint made up for all my absences in the gym. My legs cramping, sweat dripping all over me, I finally made it to the check in counter of Philippine Airlines.

It was already closed. I missed my flight.

Suddenly, images of Tom Hank's movie, The Terminal, flashed in rapid succession in my mind.

I walked back to the American Airlines counter (in the domestic flight area!) to ask for help.

I learned that Philippine Airlines is overbooked for the next days. The flight I missed is the only flight that night.

Maybe they would arrange for a hotel accommodation. All my clothes are in the checked-in luggage. I see myself standing helplessly in front of the Golden Gate. I prepared myself for a long wait.

The agent told me they would rebook me in another airline. She got me a Singapore Airline flight leaving at 1:20AM. But, it will be flying to Hong Kong. Then, fly to Singapore. And then I would have to catch a flight to the Philippines (Oh, no! Not again. Groan). If you would look at the map, the Philippines is between Hong Kong and Singapore. If I could just jump wearing a parachute... I feel like a boomerang.

So, instead of arriving at 530AM in the Philippines, I will be arriving around 5PM.

Update: I'm now back in the Philippines. But, my checked-in luggage got lost along the way :-(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 31 Is Not Just About Halloween

Let The Dead Bury Their Dead

Saints Here On Earth And There In Heaven (“Mother Teresa” Part 2)