A Follower Follows, Right?

Image credit
I read about a church that just installed its pastor. (Disclaimer: It’s neither about FCCF nor me ☺) After preaching his first sermon, the deacons and the entire congregation excitedly told their new pastor how much the message blessed them. The next Sunday, he preached again. Though they still like the message, they felt they were not as blessed as the first message. On the third Sunday, they noticed something. They just realized that the pastor have been preaching the same message to them on all those Sundays. 

Can you imagine that? They were so dense that they only realized that on the third Sunday! So, they confronted the pastor. “How come you delivered the same message over and over again?” The pastor answered, “I will preach that message again and again until I see you obeying it.” 



Image credit

Think for a moment. If you were in that church, would you immediately notice that I was preaching the same message? If I were that pastor, would I see the need to repeat the message? 

When our Lord Jesus commanded the Great Commission, He made it clear that it’s about lifechange. “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations… teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19a, 20a, NIV. Emphasis added.) To be a disciple is to be an obedient follower. “Then Jesus turned to the Jews who had claimed to believe in him. ‘If you stick with this, living out what I tell you, you are my disciples for sure. Then you will experience for yourselves the truth, and the truth will free you.’” (John 8:31-32, The Message) A disobedient disciple is an oxymoron. Obviously, one cannot claim to be a follower of the Lord and not follow Him. A follower follows, right?



Image credit

Brothers and sisters, would I see you obeying the Word of God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Ubus-ubos Biyaya, Bukas Nakatunganga”

God Knows Judas Not Pay

“Don’t drink the Kool-Aid!”