Crackbook

Five years ago, Mark Zuckerberg launched his Harvard dorm room project and now it’s a worldwide “genuine cultural phenomenon.” (Source: “Lost in Transit,” Paolo R. Reyes. Phil. Daily Inquirer, March 21, 2009) Now, it has “175 million active users, over 18 million daily status updates and 850 million monthly photo uploads”. Yes, as you guessed it, I am talking about Facebook.

Recently, Facebook made Friendster and MySpace eat a lot of dust as it pulled away in the number one spot in online social networking. Sony Pictures recently signed up Hollywood screenwriter Aaron Sorkin (of “A Few Good Men” and “West Wing”) and Oscar-winning producer Scott Rudin (“No Country for Old Men”) to come up with a Facebook movie. Stanford University has offered US$2,500 courses on “Facebook: Persuasive Apps and Metrics,” “The Psychology of Facebook,” and “Facebook for Parents.” Since I opened my Facebook account, I am amazed at how my network grew. I am nearing 500 in my friends list. But I know others have thousands! (If you want to add me as your friend, my e-mail is mgcpastor@gmail.com.) I have started also a “Straight From the Pastor” group to connect people who made a difference in my life. (You may join us also.) Since then, I have a lot of invitations to join Mafia Wars (Sorry but I really can’t.) and answer quizzes (such as "What kind of a Bible character Are You?”). I now understand why Reyes wrote, “The 3 billion minutes the world spends socializing in cyburbia make [Facebook] the current recreational drug of choice.” That’s why it is labeled as “Crackbook.”

What made Facebook so successful? It is satisfying a legitimate need for deep connection with each other. God created us not only to have a relationship with Him but also with people.
The Lord Jesus told us, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. This is the first and most important commandment. The second most important commandment is like this one. And it is, ‘Love others as much as you love yourself.’” (Matthew 22:37-39, CEV) The Greek word for “like” means “another of the same kind.” Loving others is the same as loving God. “Whoever loves God must also love his brother.” (1 John 4:21, NIV) With or without Facebook, we are called to relate with each other on an ever-deepening level.

Brethren, let us connect with each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Ubus-ubos Biyaya, Bukas Nakatunganga”

God Knows Judas Not Pay

“Don’t drink the Kool-Aid!”