Ignorance or Apathy?

A reporter interviewed a man on the street. “Which do you think is the biggest problem in our nation today: ignorance or apathy?” The man answered, “I don’t know and I don’t care!”

As Christians, we cannot afford not to know. We cannot afford not to care. One of my favorite Bible teachers, Dr. John MacArthur, wrote, “I believe that we need to take every legal means available to us as citizens to effect change in country. Every time you have an opportunity to do that—you need to do that.” That is not a violation of the separation of church and state. It is the responsibility of the state to ensure freedom of religion. It is the responsibility of the church to serve as the conscience of the state. MacArthur added: “If there is a forum where you can say what needs to be said, then you need to say that. If there is a letter that you can write, then you need to write that letter. If there is a vote that you can make, then you need to make that vote.”

Personally, let me emphasize my conviction that what we really need is not a change in government but a change of heart.
Whatever opinion you may have about the pressing issues now, we need to heed God’s Word: “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14, NIV)

Instead of blaming others for the sad plight of Jerusalem, Nehemiah prayed: “I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father’s house, have committed against you.” (Nehemiah 1:6) Brothers and sisters, we need to imitate Nehemiah. Before we become part of the solution, we must admit we are part of the problem. We should not wait for others to call on God. Let us take the initiative. We need to cry out to the Lord for the sake of our beloved country.

In the Old Testament, the Lord lamented, “I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none.” (Ezekiel 22:30) If God would look for such a person among us who would intercede on behalf of our nation, would He find someone? For if we will not do it, no one else will.

Yours in Christ,

Bro. Eyriche Cortez
Associate Pastor, English Worship Service

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Ubus-ubos Biyaya, Bukas Nakatunganga”

God Knows Judas Not Pay

“Don’t drink the Kool-Aid!”