Think Family

One clip that is gaining so much attention in YouTube (No, I am not talking about those sex video scandals.) is the “Funeral” Family television commercial that the National Family Council in Singapore released recently. 

It shows a moving eulogy of a wife for her late husband. When asked to share a few words for her dearly departed, she stepped up and said, “I am not going to sing praises for my late husband. Not today. Neither am I going to talk about how good he was. Enough people have done that here. Instead I want to talk about some things that would make some of you feel a bit uncomfortable.” Then she shared about her husband’s loud snoring and farting. Nervous laughter rippled through the funeral function room.

Then, trying to hold back tears, she shared how she came to appreciate it. “Towards the end of his life, when his illness was at its worst, these sounds indicated to me that my [husband] was still alive. And what I would give just to hear those sounds again before I sleep. In the end it’s these small things that you remember, the little imperfections that make them perfect for you.One cannot watch the video without feeling that lump in your throat. A friend even told me that after watching the video she no longer mind her husband’s “concert” at night. 

That commercial got so much attention that the Community Development Ministry of Singapore launched the “Beautifully Imperfect Couples” competition via Facebook as a follow-up. Among 350 entries, ten couples won the competition through online voting. (Source: Channel News Asia) 
Image credit
The church is our family also. We are all “beautifully imperfect.” I pray that we will come to lovingly value even each other’s flaws, our “individual imperfections.” Our Lord Jesus commanded us, “Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” (John 13:34-35, NLT) 

Brethren, think family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Ubus-ubos Biyaya, Bukas Nakatunganga”

God Knows Judas Not Pay

“Tetelestai!”