Starbucks Saved His Life?

In Michael Gill’s own words, “I was born with just about every advantage you could imagine, or even wish for.”1 Born the first son of a prominent family, went to Yale, climbed the corporate ladder until he became a top executive of the world’s biggest ad agency at that time, received a six-figure salary, he got it made!

Or, so he thought. At 53, he got fired. He started a consulting company. It fizzled. Then his wife of twenty-years divorced him due to an affair where he sired a son. Then, his doctor found a brain tumor. Only Job had hit lower than that!

Gill described his morning ritual: “I was dressing up everyday with a tie. It’s sad now to think about it, but I was dressing up like I was an executive when I didn't have any work. I was surprised at my inability to cope.” Talk about hopelessness! One day, he entered a Starbucks store. That time the coffee shop was hiring. The manager approached him, “Would you like a job?” Drained and desperate, Gill could only nod.


Gill became a barista. He found it scary at first. “It’s one thing to get fired from J. Walter Thompson. It’s another thing to be fired from Starbucks because you can’t even do the basic job.” But now Gill claims he found his calling—serving others. He chronicled his life in the memoir, “How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else.” Gill says the book’s claim is not an exaggeration. “It’s literally true. My life for me was over. I’m so much happier serving than I ever was being served.” (By the way, his brain tumor was not life threatening.)

There’s a Son
of privilege who learned to live like everyone else, who went so much lower but not to save His life but ours. “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Mark 10:45, NIV) Our Lord Jesus willingly and lovingly left the comforts of heaven to be crucified for our sins. He did not become a barista. He became our Savior. Brethren, let us share how Jesus saved our lives.

1 http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/22/sunday/main3642078.shtml#

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Ubus-ubos Biyaya, Bukas Nakatunganga”

God Knows Judas Not Pay

“Don’t drink the Kool-Aid!”