The “Thorpedo” Hangs His Shorts

Australia’s Ian Thorpe, after swimming to 13 world records, winning five Olympic gold medals and 11 world titles, recently announced that he is through with competitive swimming.

The “Thorpedo” is retiring... at 24.

According to an Associated Press report, “Plagued by illness, injury and a lack of motivation, Thorpe hasn’t competed in a major international event since the Athens Olympics.” A comeback for Thorpe is uncertain though he did not rule it out: “I never rule anything out, but it’s not going to happen.”

Why? Thorpe explains in front of 100 photographers and reporters: “I was catapulted into the international limelight as a kid. I’ve reached all the dizzying heights of this sport. It’s been a tough decision to make. None of my goals included breaking any more world records. I knew how to do it, but it wasn’t as inspiring as it should have been.” (Source: Yahoo! News)

I think the apostle Paul had an experience somewhat like that. “We can list what many might think are impressive credentials... The very credentials these people are waving around as something special, I’m tearing up and throwing out with the trash—along with everything else I used to take credit for.” (Philippians 3:4, 7, The Message) But he did so not out of a lack of motivation. He finally saw what’s truly important in life. “Yes, all the things I once thought were so important are gone from my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant (Philippians 3:8).

Breaking and setting world records are neat. Winning gold medals is cool. But what matters most in one’s life is to know the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior. Everything else pales in comparison. People need to hear this Good News. That’s why on December 7 (Thursday, 7PM), 8 (Friday, 7PM) and 9 (Saturday, 9PM), My Hope Philippines will broadcast an evangelistic TV program over QTV 11 so that people would discover what they really need in life. Tell your friend and relatives about it.

Brethren, you don’t have to quit on life. You just have to have the right reason for living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Ubus-ubos Biyaya, Bukas Nakatunganga”

God Knows Judas Not Pay

“Don’t drink the Kool-Aid!”